Ma Po Tofu Recipe
Ma po tofu is one of the most famous Chinese food recipe, it is fast and easy to prepare. If you are a true Chinese food lover, give this Ma po tofu recipe a try, and I bet you will love it.
Prep time: 20 minutes to drain tofu well
Total time: 35 minutes
Wok, bowl, serving plate
1/3 cup ground beef
14 oz./ 400 g firm tofu
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. chopped scallion
3 chilies, finely chopped
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
1 tbsp. chili bean sauce
1 tbsp. rice wine, or dry sherry
1 tbsp. white sugar, or to taste
1 tbsp. Szechuan peppercorn
2 tbsps. vegetable oil for stir-frying
1 tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with 4 tbsps. water in a bowl
1. Drain the tofu well before using according to the tips below.
2. Preheat a wok over medium-high heat for at least 30 seconds before adding oil, drizzle to coat the surface until it is hot. Then saute 1 tbsp. chili bean sauce, scallion, ground ginger, and chilies until aromatic, about 30-60 seconds, stir fry ground beef until nears done.
3. Put the tofu cubes back into the wok and bring them to a gentle boil.
4. Whisk cornstarch and water mixture, 1 tbsp. white sugar, 1 tbsp. rice wine, 1 tbsp. light soy sauce in a bowl, pour them over the tofu and stir to coat well.
5. Remove from the heat to a plate, top with a sprinkling of ground peppercorn before serving.
How to drain tofu before using:
1. Cut tofu into uniform size pieces.
2. Lay a kitchen paper out on a big serving plate, arrange tofu cubes on it neatly, then cover another kitchen paper on them.
3. At last, put a book or any other heavy things on it, let sit for 20 minutes until needed.
4. During this period, you may find water leeks out of it, no worries, drain it by tiltting the plate if needed.
Servings per recipe: 2
Amount per serving:
|Protein: 56.9 g|
|Total fat: 15 g|
|Carbohydrate: 24 g|
|Calories: 460 kcal|